Friday, July 12, 2013

Construction: Week 28 - House Out of The Mold

Reader Note - Article Names:

Over the past weeks I have named each construction article with the Week number and the words "Progress Report."  This is proving problematic when I want to locate a particular item of progress.  Henceforth I will be identifying each article with a title reflecting the most significant event.  For example this week's article is entitle "House out of the mold."  Eventually I plan to revisit all construction articles and update their titles accordingly.

Reader Note - Computer Frustration:

The photos for Week 28 arrived on July 7th.  Hence, this article is now a week late and Week 29 photos were received today.  Why the delay?  For whatever reason Blogger would not let me write articles (which may be related to the next paragraph). 

To add insult to injury, someone tried to scam me by claiming the were from Microsoft Windows and requesting that I link up via the Internet so that they could "fix my problem" (i.e., "steal my identity").  They hung up when I asked for a phone number so that I could call them for verification. I notified my support group and they requested that I bring in the computer so that they could scan for viruses, Trojan horses, etc.  While in the "shop" it received a new operating system and I am now struggling to learn a new system.  Unbelievable.  Please somebody explain why Microsoft moves stuff around every time they rewrite their operating system.  "Who moved my cheese?"

Now to Week 28 progress. 

This will be a very short article as there was very little.  I learned today that Outer Reef shipped an 83 and 70 last week and that may well have accounted for the limited progress.  The good news is that having shipped the boats they focused on my 63 and the Week 29 photo showed considerable progress.

Here's the big news.  The photo below shows the "house" removed from the mold and sitting on tall pylons.   Last week we saw the house in the mold with lifting straps attached.

1. House removed from the mold
Moving from stem to stern you can see the anchor chain hatches, forward deck, hatch over the VIP stateroom, forward seating, Portuguese Bridge, entrance to the walk-a-rounds, pilot house windows, pilot house area, galley area and salon area, aft door, aft window and aft deck.  What you cannot see is the transom.  Below is the house in the mold with the transom attached for reference.

Week 25. House in the mold with transom attached
The next big news involves the flybridge and boat deck.  The photo below shows the underside of this structure on a frame.  Note the rollers on the corners.  Also notice the "stiffeners" (which look like stringers).  The stiffeners enable the structure to hold the weight of equipment and people occupying the flybridge and boat deck.  The boat deck will be holding the davit and a 13 foot AB DLX13 tender with a 60 HP Yamaha engine that weighs in at 1,000 lbs.  Below is a photo showing  the structure in the mold

2. Underside of the boat deck on a frame ready to flipped over
Week 27 showing the flybridge and boat deck in the mold
Stay tuned for Week 29 and the big changes that occurred last week.

Written by Les.








No comments:

Post a Comment