Sunday, August 17, 2014

More about Magnificent Wheeler Yachts

You may recall that during our July trip to Nantucket I had the pleasure of connecting with Gene Wheeler, the son of one of the brothers that owned the Wheeler Shipyard. As a result of that discussion, Gene had the family search their records for photographs on the two Wheelers that I had worked on as a kid, the 50 foot and 65 foot Randy Boatshu owned by Bob Cohen of the Randolph Manufacturing Company.

Gene was unable to find photos of Bob Cohen's yachts but he came close with excerpts from Wheeler brochures and plans for the 65 Promenade Deck Sportfishing Yacht.

The photo below is of the yacht Fram, which was a sistership to the Randy Boatshu.  I actually saw this vessel during my circa 1960 visit to Nantucket on the Randy Boatshu.


The brochure photos brought back memories.  That said, I was surprised at how little I actually remembered beyond the boat's magnificent lines and some interior features.

Master stateroom looking forward (companionway to starboard)

Master Stateroom looking aft
 
65 salon looking aft
Left  ro right: Companionway to promenade deck and accommodations

The spacious promenade deck
Here are some statistic on the 65 Promenade Deck Sport Fishing Yacht:
  • Length Overall: 64' 10"
  • Beam: 16' 6"
  • Draft: 5'
  • Power: 2 GM 6-110 200 HP diesels
  • Fuel Capacity: 600 gallons
  • Salon 14' by 10'
  • Galley 6' 6" by 7' wide with refrigerator and stove
  • Dinette 6' 6" by 7' wide with seating for 8
  • Master Staterooms: 8' 6" long 16 feet wide with bunks on each side and 2 hanging lockers
  • Guest Staterooms: Two 6' 9" long 7' wide with two bunks each
  • Heads: 2
  • Crew Quarters: 3 bunks with head
What was interesting is how different a 63 foot modern semi-displacement trawler is from one built 50 years ago.  While our Outer Reef is somewhat similar in basic dimensions (63 LOA, 17 beam, 5 draft, two 503 HP diesels and 1300 gallons of fuel), her utilization of space is radically different, which I suspect speaks to how people used yachts of this size at the time.  Several things just jump out:
  • Crew quarters for three
  • Separate beds in the master with bunks elsewhere (sailboat mentality?)
  • The large open promenade deck (speaks to afternoon cruises in lovely weather)
  • The provision for a small light-weight dingy launched by manpower (and no davit)
  • Small galley (anticipates use by crew)
  • No stabilization (no surprise, all that was available was flopper stoppers)
In fact, in my case, the things that "jump out" of the specifications are consistent with my memory of how the Randy Boatshu (65 and 50) were used.  We entertained shoe buyers with frequent evening cruises and some weekend cruises to places like Nantucket, Martha's Vineyard, Block Island, Cuttyhunk, Falmouth etc..  I suspect the Cohens did not live aboard while the boat was in Florida but rather continued to use her in the same way.

As to the 50, it appears she was actually a 52 Promenade.  Captain Lester Glawson had always referred to the first boat as "the 50"  and that's how I knew her.  Gene sent me brochure photos of two versions, one a flush deck and the other with a cockpit.  I think Cohen's was the cockpit version but I cannot be absolutely sure.  Memory does have it limitations.

52 Promenade flush deck with large outside deck
52 Promenade Yacht with Cockpit
I also found this photo on line of the 52 Wheeler Promenade Cockpit Motor Yacht.  My best recollection suggests Cohen's 52 was the cockpit version.  See photo below.

Photo of the 52 Promenade found on line
Fast story: We regularly cruised the 50 to Cohasset Harbor where we treated shoe buyers to dinner at Hugo's Lighthouse (today's Atlantica).  On one trip I attempted to jump onto the dock when the "local" seemed not to have clue as to how to secure the lines.  Unfortunately, I forgot to unfasten the wire safety and as a result tripped over it and fell into the water.  The "local" while not good with lines was great at rescue.  He pulled me out so fast I barely got my wallet wet.  Dinner was great even though I was a bit wet.

Thanks again to Gene Wheeler for the journey back to memory lane.

Written by Les.

1 comment:

  1. Re: Randy Boatshu, Do you still have interest in history, pics etc. Would have to dig out of storage. Bought boat from Bob Cohen in 70 on day he lost company.
    you can email me at sdklf1@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete