Saturday, April 11, 2015

Open Letter to eBay President Donahoe

Dear Mr. Donahoe,

eBay has a serious problem with regard to its handling of customer complaints.

The problem started with trying to buy a brush for cleaning my boat late Friday night.  The eBay seller, TrendsAuto.com, promptly confirmed my purchase via email.  However, the confirmation showed an entirely different item purchased.

I contacted eBay by phone and attempted to reverse the transaction and was advised that I needed to contact the seller.  I attempted to contact TrendsAuto and received a recorded message advising me of their hours.  The following morning I attempted to contact TrendsAuto no less than 6 times.  Each time I was advised to leave a message, which I did three times.  No one returned my call.

This prompted me to write the email below to TrendsAuto expressing my displeasure with the company. The message while a bit "sharp" does effectively express my displeasure while at the same time providing the company with valuable feedback (should they care to listen).

From: Lester Shapiro <lts15@sbcglobal.net>
To: "trendsauto@yahoo.com" <trendsauto@yahoo.com>
Sent: Saturday, April 11, 2015 1:18 PM
Subject: TOTAL DISSATISFACTION

RE: The transaction below #1113031581004.

To whom it may concern (which given your company's performance I suspect is no one)

Last night I attempted to purchase a Shurhold 10" Soft Brush #975 through a link on ebay.  The confirmation below indicates I purchased something completely different (an "Auto Ventshade AVS 92659 2pc Smoke Detector Ventvisor for Windstar / Freestar item #141281565785).  There is obviously a problem with your website.

Today, from 9:00 AM CDT to present, I have made at least 6 attempts to contact your company without success.  You do not have the courtesy to answer your phones.  Note: Your "hours" message states that you take calls between 9:00 AM CDT and 3:00 PM CDT.  Either you are short staff or your message is out of date as you are in fact closed on Saturday.  Either way your business is UNPROFESSIONAL!

Further, you offer no simple way to cancel a sale.  Noting that your confirmation indicated that I had not purchased what I expected (and I'm sure you are aware of this problem) you should give your customer a quick way to reverse the transaction.  This would actually work in your company's best interest as you would save time and money dealing with a return once the product is delivered.  I suspect your method of doing business is MEAN SPIRITED.

REQUEST: Please cancel this transaction forthwith and refund my PayPal payment.

Les Shapiro
773-255-9657

Now to eBay.

After I completed the email above I called eBay and requested the email address for your customer complaint group so that I could copy them.  After a very frustrating one hour and 36 minutes which involved no less than five of your agents I was unable to get such an email address.  Be aware that each agent put me back in the phone queue.

By then I was a bit frustrated and asked for your name and the address of your company so that I could write you a letter expressing my displeasure with eBay.  The two agents to whom this request was made refused to provide the information.

I then Googled "President of eBay email."  Bingo. I received not only your email address (jdonahoe@ebay.com) and your phone number (408-376-7400) and, surprise, surprise, the address of your Customer Service and Complaint Group (cswebhelp@ebay.com).

Think about this.  Your people wasted one hour and 36 minutes of eBay's time refusing to answer questions that were in the public domain!  HELLO!

Attention Mr. Donahoe:  eBay's practices are wasting your money and frustrating your customers. The question is do you care to listen?

Sincerely,

Les Shapiro
773-255-9657

No comments:

Post a Comment