Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Connecting with my daughter - Days 174 to 177 - Stuart, FL

On Thursday, March 24, Diana departed for Chicago, her first visit in almost six months.  Kodi and I stayed behind.  The plan, which came together beautifully, was to spend the weekend with my daughter, Lesley, deal with maintenance issues and then join Diana in Chicago for what I expect to be a whirlwind five days connecting with friends and going to Ann Scott's wedding.

On Friday, I drove to West Palm Beach to meet Lesley and her friend Scott who had flown in from Rhode Island for a weekend visit.  We drove back to the marina and after an enthusiastic greeting from the Furry Kid, had dinner at Wahoo's, the restaurant immediately adjacent to the marina.  Then we sat on the boat, enjoyed the lovely evening (clear and 78 degrees) with a bottle of 2005 Mount Veeder Cabernet Savingnon.

Lesley and Scott enjoying a glass of Mt Veeder 2005 Cabernet Savingnon
Saturday morning, Kodi's dog sitter, Wilma picked Kodi up so we could go to the West Palm Beach boat show and have dinner with Ron and Linda Markovits. 

Before the show, Lesley, Scott and I then ventured across the St Lucie river for breakfast at Duffy's. 

We depart Guided Discovery for the historic downtown
When we arrived at the show, we called Ron and Linda who were on the 55 Fleming and proceeded to join them.  Then Lesley, Scott and I explored the show.

Lesley posing by some VERY large yachts
The visit to the boat show caused me to rethink the 55 Fleming.  Several issues trouble me.  The cockpit is too long and 75% uncovered.  The salon is a little tight, the salon settee is not entirely comfortable, and the master stateroom, which is located in the bow, is a bit tight.  Add to that the fact that it's tough to make the bed in the V-berth.  The show was an opportunity to explore other alternatives.

After checking out several boats it became clear that to achieve real comfort we need to be in the 60 foo range.  Interestingly, that's not a big jump from the Fleming as its overall length is 60 feet.  It's just a matter of how the 60 feet are used.  Two boats that I found most interesting were a 52 Benateau, a new entry from the French sailboat manufacturer that makes amazing use of space, and a 65 Outer Reef that was incredibly comfortable.  The 52 salesman, Tom Healey offered a sea trial if I were interested.  More in the next article.

After the show, we joined Ron and Linda for dinner at Taverna Opa, a Geek restaurant in City Place, a Navy Pier type happening place.

Lesley and I at City Place
Tavena Opa was, to put it mildly, an experience.  The Greek music was loud, there were belly dancers and the mood was festive.  I'll let the photos tell the story.


Linda joins with the Belly Dancer

"Opa"
Sunday, we dingied to Sunset Bay Marina for lunch and then spent the afternnon chatting at the swimming pool.

Lunch at Sailor's Retreat at the Sunset Bay Marina

Late Sunday afternoon, Scott and I tackled a light repair problem.  I had discovered a bolt in the forward bilge (not good) where the bow thruster resides.  Using a light and a mirror we systematically explored the unit (which is hard to access) to discover the bolt's home.  Good news!  we found its home.

All good things must come to an end.  I drove Lesley and Scott back to West Palm Airport for their 8:00 PM departure.


I had a great time with Lesley and Scott.  Lesley has a bachelors in biology, a masters in theology and is working on a Ph.D in education.  She teaches advanced placement biology at Classical High School in Providence Rhode Island.  She is also familiar with my work and my book.  Her friend Scott teaches biology at Classical and runs a jet ski rental business on the Cape during the summer.  These two were fun to chat with.  We had a great visit.

Written by Les.

1 comment:

  1. Awwwwww!! I am so glad you guys had a great visit!! Sounds like a ton of fun!! Thinking of you guys! :)

    ReplyDelete