Saturday, April 2, 2011

Busy days in Stuart - Days 178 to 180 - Stuart, FL

Monday through Wednesday were spent dealing with boat maintenance, dingy maintenance, sea trialing the Benetau 52 and preparations for the next phase of our journey.  Diana and I decided that Kodi would remain with Wilma and Monica to allow me to accomplish the goals, which in retrospect turned out to be a good decision.

Rain Monday morning, put a slight kink in the first phase of the plan, which involved waxing the hull and topsides.  In fact it rained all day.  This was the first day in months that it rained.  My guess is that we have not had more than 10 days with any rain since we started this journey almost 6 months ago.  No problem, the detailer, 5 Star Boat Services, agreed to do the project on Tuesday.

Tuesday, turns out, was perfect for boat detailing and a sea trial.  Once Johnny and his team got started, I drove south 35 miles to Salifish Marina on Singer Island to meet Tom Healey for the Benetau sea trial.  I returned to Stuart late in the afternoon to tackle final arrangements for dingy maintenance.

Benetau 52 Swift Trawler at Sailfish Marina
Late last week, I made arrangements to address three dingy problems, damage to the hull caused by hitting rocks close to shore from boat wakes, a leak that has plagued the boat since I took delivery in September of 2007 and the installation of a depth sounder.  I located a fiberglass expert using the internet and made arrangements to have them haul the boat. 

On Tuesday afternoon I made final arrangements to meet Devin from The Fiberglass Shop (rain or shine).  He instructed me to meet him at 8:00 AM at the launch ramp at Shepards Park and provided directions.  With thunderstorms closing in and the possiblity for rain in the morning, I decided to find the launch ramp to ensure that I would not miss the appointment.  So, I got in the dingy, ventured west down the St Lucie River, located the launch ramp and returned before the threatening rain that never came.

Wednesday morning, I got up at 7:00 AM, dingied to the Shepards Park launch ramp and arrived on time.  Devin arrived several minutes later and we pulled the boat out of the water.  



Devin drove me back to the boat for my 9:00 AM appointment with the detailer who returned to take care of a few remaining issues.  After an hour and a half, Guided Discovery was in absolutely pristine condition. 

Following this, I drove to The Fiberglass Shop to meet with Brian to agree on the scope of work for the dingy.  During the process of inspecting the boat, Brian brought several issue to my attention and we greatly broadened the scope.  Turns our that the rigger (the company that assembled the boat and mounted the outboard) did a sloppy job with with the electrical connections and the fuel line that were just lying in the bilge.  The leak ultimatelty corroded the main battery connection, which was literally hours from failure.  Additionally, the motor was not propely mounted, which may account for the leak.  My expectation is that when I return on next week I will have a dingy that will look and be like new.

Meanwhile, both Diana and I have been in contact with Wilma and her sister, Monica, who are taking care of Kodi.  Kodi is in a great situation, by herself with two people who love dogs.  According to Wilma and Monica Kodi is behaving well and they are enjoying her company.  Diana wisely provided them with a list of commands for some of Kodi's behaviors, which allows them to communicate with the Furry Kid.  Best of all, they have been training her not to beg at the dinner table, a problem that Diana created by sharing her food with Kodi.

Bottom Line: Three very busy days with all goals accomplished and a happy (and perhaps even better trained) dog.

Almost too clean to use
Now its off to Chicago.  Tomorrow, I catch an 11:00 AM flight.

Written by Les.

1 comment: