Saturday, February 22, 2014

Christening Guided Discovery

Reader Note: The Christening was February 15th.  Today is Sunday, February 23rd.  That's a seven day delay in posting this article.  Part of the delay was waiting for photos and the upload of my speech to YouTube.  The bigger part was that fact that I have been busier than a one armed paper hanger since leaving the Miami Boat Show, which will be the subject of my next article.  Anyhow, enjoy the party.

Guided Discovery's Christening party, hosted by Outer Reef Yachts, began "officially" at 3:00 PM on Saturday, February 15 with food and music.  Both were exceptional.

Deborah (ORY), Karl (Tania), Mike (ORY) & Howard (Tania)

Marjorie, Les, Bob and Myrna
Jerry and Cathy, friends since 1968
At 4:35 PM the ceremony commenced with brief remarks by Jeff Druek that welcomed us to the Outer Reef family.  This was followed by an 18 minute speech by yours truly.  

Diana, Les, Jeff and Mike toasting to Guided Discovery

Folks listening to Jeff'' remarks
A funny moment
My speech had five parts  The first welcomed our friends, we had about 24 in attendance, and thanked Outer Reef Yachts, Kodi and Diana for their role in bringing this dream to reality.  The second spoke to the importance of a well written Christening Ceremony as critical to the vessel's fortunes.  Next came a few comments about the Gods of the sea (they number in the hundreds across various cultures - it's more than just Poseidon, Neptune and Davy Jones), fourth was the reading of  formal words of Christening with audience participation and fifth, the breaking of a bottle of champagne bottle.  I had great fun.

And so did the audience
My complete speech is posted on YouTube.  Click on the links below to view the entire speech (in two parts). 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ChSsvCeVeKs&feature=youtu.be

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DxNY4h1Dz7g&feature=youtu.be

The champagne bottle breaks on the first try (meaning good luck)
Kodi looks on as Jeff & I shake hands after breaking the bottle
Following the party, our friends gathered on boat for wine, cheese and crackers and pizza.

Jim, Heidi, Dakota, Les and Nathaniel

Bob and I inspect the wine

Darrel on the transom. les, Sue, Dakota and Nathaniel
My sister and my friend Dick (Marjorie's husband)
Sue, Marjorie, Dick and Jan
My sister and Dakota, my honorary granddaughter
Dakota and Pam, my Chicago boat neighbor
Bob, Diana, Pam, Jan, Dakota and Nathaniel

Becky and my future Son-in-Law

Marjorie, Dick and Myrna
Becky and Les
Steve Betts volunteered to be official photographer.  Thank you Steve!

Steve and Becky Betts, my sister Myrna and Scott (my future son in law)
Myrna, Dakota, Becky, Nathaniel & Diana
Becky & Diana
Best of all , Diana and I had a great time and got to connect with wonderful friends,

Written by Les.



1 comment:

  1. Great post, thanks for sharing. A Christening is such a wonderful time. Have you seen these gorgeous godmother gifts? What do you think?

    ReplyDelete