Friday, October 29, 2010

More Shiney New Props - Day 26 - Grand Rivers, KY

Thursday, Tom Hilbert returned with the propellers that had been rehabilitated to better than new condition by Air Marine in Chicago and helped me store them underneath the cabin sole (floor).  Total cost for my impatience on the Illinois River: $468 to lift the boat and install the spares, $500 to retune the props and $600 for a new starboard spur (which will by reinstalled the next time the boat is pulled out of the water).

Tom helping me with the props
Prop #1 next to the Gray Water Sump
Notice the open box immediately to the right of the propeller.  It is called the gray water sump.  It collects waste water from the sinks and showers and condensate from the four air conditioners.  If not cleaned regularly it can become a source of unpleasant odors.  We clean it every two months.  Since I had to pull up the canvas carpet cover anyhow, I used that as an opportunity to clean the sump.  Tom got there just as I started the process.  Hence the open sump.

So, an hour later I had my spare props and a clean sump.

Written by Les

No comments:

Post a Comment