Sunday, May 1, 2011

Chicago celebrations - Days 210 to 213 - Chicago, IL

Readers may recall that my last visit to Chicago started with a frustrating five hour (equipment) delay at Palm Beach International.  This was not the case on Friday (4/29).  My United flight from Jacksonville departed on time and arrived 10 minutes early.

Note 1: I was slightly shocked by the cooler (low 50s) temperature as I waited for the Hertz shuttle.  Could it be that my blood has thinned or was my light clothes and no jacket?

Note 2: Diana used Orbitz to rent a car at the airport.  What a deal! $84 for the three days, which is considerably less than the $150 round trip limo fees.  Plus Hertz provided a brand new (111 mile) Toyota Corolla. 

My first stop was to The Warranty Group's (TWG) downtown headquarters on Jackson Boulevard, which had not been on the original agenda.  Let me explain.  On Wednesday evening, while Googling some information, a pop up window appeared warning "Your computer is infected" and displaying a list of threats. 

Trojan Horse pop-up window - BEWARE
The pop-up contained an executable that purported to clean up the problems.  I was immediately suspicious and after a useless conversation with AT&T tech support (surprise, surprise), I decided to run a Symantec scan to independently verify the infection.  The scan revealed no problems.  Still, I was concerned that the a virus may have invaded the unit.  Additionally, one of the USB ports had gone to failure several weeks earlier.  Hence the TWG visit, which in addition to getting the computer repaired would afford me the opportunity to visit with my old friends.

As I got into the elevator I was joined by John England (former boss) and Don Schober (co-worker and former boss circa mid 90s).  This was good since I no longer have a building pass.  I dropped off the computer at Tech Support and joined John in Randy Schwantez' office to catch up on old times.  We were soon joined by Don, David Worral and Dan Hargeshiemer - all members of my old consulting team.  Moments later, we were joined by Martha Centenaro who arrived with a lovely, unexpected and belated gift (due to not being engraved when I retired 1 year ago).

The inscription reads; "Lester T Shapiro, April 1, 1972, 38 Years of Service."

Awesome cut leaded glass service memento
While waiting for my computer, I visited with my many friends as I walked the office floors.  It was great.  Then another surprise. Diana, my former Administrative Assistant when I was on "executive row," informed me that she had discovered my long lost memorabilia (two boxes).  These were promptly loaded into my car.  So, by 4:30 PM, I had enjoyed the camaraderie of good friends, received a brand new computer, verified that I had not infected my hard drive (relief), received a lovely gift and had possession of my long lost memorabilia.  Wow!!!!

Dinner Friday night was at Fillipos on North Clyborn with Lisa and Rick.  Lisa and Rick own a 53 Hatteras Motor Yacht at Belmont Harbor and have cruised the Western Rivers and Florida's East Coast.  They generously shared their experiences with us last September in preparation for our great adventure.  Great restaurant, great food and most important wonderful company.  We spent three lovely hours swapping cruising stories.  Another Wow!!!!

Saturday was reserved for Kathy Hoffman's Celebration of Life and what a celebration.  It was held at Wynstone Golf Club.  When I arrived at 3:00 PM there were about 40 people.  This quickly grew to over 300 (conservatively) including my good friends Pam, Brad, Mike and Marshall.  It was truly a celebration of her life with a 35 minute video photo collage that took you through her childhood to the present.  Kathy's smiles told you that she was enjoying every event to the fullest.  Around five, Dick introduced his family and several members and friends talked about Kathy.  Everybody stood for the duration.  There is no way to change the terrible loss but what a way to put a final apostrophe to a life that was well lived and that touched others in such a positive way.  Kathy would have been proud and touched.

Sunday was spent with Becky, Steve, Dakota and Nathaniel.  Activities included Nathaniel's soccer game (our side lost even though nobody was keeping score), Nathaniel (6) playing the cello, Dakota (8) playing the piano including a piece that she composed and scored, a visit with Becky's parents, Martha and David (David joined me for the first 3 days on Illinois River - Chicago to Peoria), a great dinner and lots of fun discussion.  Another Wow!!!!

Nathaniel focused on the game
David and I chat at the soccer game.  It was COLD!
I pose with Dakota, Nathaniel, Becky and Steve
In keeping with the theme of the weekend, my interaction with friends was truly part of my celebration of life.  Tomorrow I rejoin Diana and Kodi in Fernandina Beach to continue the adventure and the celebration.

Written by Les.

2 comments:

  1. It was fun having dinner--we only wish Diana and Kodi could have been there! Les, thanks for the upgrade--we wish it could be so easy. Ours is a 52 Jefferson Marquessa. Of course, Jefferson copied the layout of the Hatteras almost exactly.

    We had so much to talk about we never heard about the Murphy's Law stories. Thanks for the blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was great to see you as always Les. Have a safe trip back and we look forward to seeing Diana in a few weeks and a rendezvous with both you (and Kodi) somewhere on the east cost later in the summer.

    ReplyDelete