Saturday, May 28, 2011

A day for remembering - Day 239 - Beaufort, NC

Saturday, we awoke to a forecast with a 20% chance of showers, which seemed closer to 90% when we left for our morning walk with Kodi.

Dark clouds to the east of Guided Discovery
Undaunted, we proceeded to walk through town (our theory being we could camp on some one's porch if it rained hard.  We doubted that they would shoot us as long as the Furry Kid was with us). 

At 9:45 AM, we came upon the Carteret Court House where we discovered the locals preparing for the annual Memorial Day Service, which was scheduled to begin at 10:00 AM.

Tents erected around the Cateret County War Memorial
Flags flying
We decided to stay and watch small town (population 4,305) America celebrate.  It was a great decision and a touching experience. 

The band playing during the musical prelude
They introduced the scouts who raised and lowered the flags
The colorful Knight of Columbus Color Guard
The Beaufort Town Chorus sang a medley of patriotic songs
Angela Baker sang "Proud to be an American" beautifully

Artist: Lee Greenwood
Song: Proud To Be An American

If tomorrow all the things were gone,
I’d worked for all my life.
And I had to start again,
with just my children and my wife.

I’d thank my lucky stars,
to be livin here today.
‘ Cause the flag still stands for freedom,
and they can’t take that away.

And I’m proud to be an American,
where at least I know I’m free.
And I wont forget the men who died,
who gave that right to me.

And I gladly stand up,
next to you and defend her still today.
‘ Cause there ain’t no doubt I love this land,
God bless the USA.
Congressman Walter Jones (R) gave the Memorial Day Speech
Congressman Walter Jones speech was moving.  He spoke of four veterans, starting with his grandfather who committed suicide (circa 1922) a consequence of being (mustard) gassed during WWI and of his 12 year old father finding the body as an example of the effect that war has on families.  He spoke of two others who made the ultimate sacrifice and of one who was badly wounded (having lost everything from the waist down) during the Iraq war.  He made the point that our technology and medical skills now enable us to save severely wounded service people who would have died in previous wars and the obligation we have to provide for them.

He also spoke of his decision to send troops to Iraq, which today he mightily regrets and of the difficulty of providing adequate benefits for veterans and especially those who have been severely wounded.  He strongly pledged to see that the budget treats our veterans properly.  He also expressed his deep reservations about our involvement in Afghanistan and provided details to explain his decision to support pulling the troops out.  He got a very enthusiastic round of applause from the approximately 300 people in attendance.

One line of the Congressman's speech characterized the meaning of Memorial Day for me.  Referring to those who service men and women who made the ultimate sacrifice, he said that "they gave their tomorrows for our today."

Today, I was especially proud to be an American.

Note: We also stayed completely dry.

Written by Les.

2 comments:

  1. Les,

    Thank you for the moving description of Beaufort celebrating Memorial Day. As a Marine in my earlier life, I appreciated reading this.........Al

    ReplyDelete
  2. Les and Diana,

    Your poignant prose and pictures captured beautifully the ceremony at the Beaufort Courthouse.

    A group from our retirement home, Snug Harbor on Nelson Bay, had attended, but forgot our camera!

    Someone sent me photos from your blog, so I've traced them back and read all about your adventures with Kodi as well!

    Any chance you might come visit us? We love dogs AND human visitors! If you had time to share some stories from your trip, we could show photos from blog and turn your visit into An Event!

    I really just wrote to get permission to use your Beaufort photos for the "Memorial Day in Review" part of our website. As usual, I got carried away!

    Please let me know if we have your permission to use photos ~ THANK YOU!

    Warm regards,
    Jennifer

    Jennifer Gildard

    Community Liaison
    Snug Harbor on Nelson Bay
    http://www.snugharboronnelsonbay.com/

    jgildard@snugharboronnelsonbay.com
    252-225-4411 Ext. 241

    ReplyDelete